Wednesday 3 December 2014

Home and dry (and COLD!)

The last few weeks in Mae Sot were marked by farewells and doing things for the last time, together with a growing apprehension about the huge adjustments to be made on returning home. On Friday I was given a great send-off by my colleagues at World Education. Even though my work was not directly connected to WE’s projects, it has been great to feel part of their team and I will miss the wonderful atmosphere and the friendship and support.

Did you hear the one about the chicken and the dinosaur...?

Saturday was taken up with the final packing up and cleaning of my house, before handing the keys over and rendering myself officially “of no fixed abode!” I spent my final night in Mae Sot at Alice’s house, and we both travelled together on the bus to Bangkok on Sunday morning, as she had appointments there on Monday. It was great to have her company for my last couple of days. On Monday morning I had to go to the police department to go through the procedure to get my police clearance certificate, including having my fingerprints taken – the first time in my life as far as I can remember! In the afternoon I had my exit interview with VSO and said goodbye to the office staff there. After a final dinner with Alice at our favourite little Italian restaurant, it was back to the hotel for the last-minute rearranging of the contents of my luggage.

I flew with Emirates via Dubai and the journey went pretty smoothly apart from a delay to the second leg. Thankfully I had had the foresight to ask my mum to bring some warm winter clothing to the airport; the temperature on arrival was around 5 degrees.
 
By the time we got home I was completely exhausted and collapsed straight into bed, snuggled up beneath the duvet in warm pyjamas and bedsocks, and clutching a hot water bottle.
Apart from the cold, I am feeling very happy to be home, and it does not feel nearly as strange as I had been expecting, though I’m sure I will go through all sorts of emotional phases in the settling back process. As time goes on, it will be interesting to see what are the things that I miss about Thailand, and what are the things that I appreciate about being home.  Here’s the first: today I walked into town along wide, well-maintained pavements (that’s sidewalks for my American friends!) and only passed two dogs along the way, both of whom were attached to a lead, on the other end of which was a responsible owner. Oh joy! Oh bliss! I am going to go out for a walk every day, just because I can!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home my friend! I hope they'd got the Ribena, chocolate digestives and celebratory tiffin in for you?! Looking forward to catching up soon. X

    ReplyDelete